The perfect insurance experience is where you purchase a policy and never have to think about it again, until you make a claim of course. However, there are some instances where you have to notify your insurer of changes to your circumstances.
To ensure you’re fully insured and that you continue to receive all the benefits offered by your policy, you need to keep your insurer informed. If your insurer for instance doesn’t have the right address or name, you might end up losing insurance protection. Here are some common and important changes you should report:
1. Your contact details Your insurer may need to contact you at some point, such as when you make a claim. For this reason, it’s crucial to keep your contact details up to date. You’ll typically be asked for a telephone number, email address, or both.
2. Changing address This probably comes with no surprise: if you change homes, you need to tell your insurer. It is important to let your insurer know about your new address to make sure that you are fully covered.
3. Expensive new purchases We all like to splash the cash when we can. Maybe a huge TV, a powerful computer, jewellery, or a premium musical instrument caught your eye. That’s great and you should treat yourself. However, you need to let your insurer know if you want it to be covered by your policy. Many insurers ask you to list items over a certain value, and items purchased after you signed up for a policy are no exception.
4. Your bank details Likewise, ensuring your premium payments go through is also vital. If you fail to pay, your insurance could lapse – leaving your belongings uncovered. If you ever change bank accounts, consider which subscriptions are connected to your old account and update the details accordingly.
5. Adding or removing someone from coverage If for example, you get married or move in with someone, you may want to share an insurance policy. This is often possible. However, your insurer needs informing of this to insure someone else. Therefore, it’s key you let them know as soon as you wish to do this.
How you go about changing these details varies from insurer to insurer. Some companies require you to speak to a customer service team, while others may let you do this through an online portal. For Getsafe customers, however, it’s incredibly simple.
Did you know?
If you're a Getsafe customer, you can make changes anytime and you don't even have to pay any administration fees. Just open the app and head to the Coverage tab to edit your information. If you’re struggling with this or encounter any issues, you can reach out to our Customer Service team on +44 20 3608 4144 or [email protected] between 7:00 and 19:00, Monday to Friday.
If you’re not a Getsafe customer, why not explore our contents policy and app-based insurance experience? You can manage your policy via app, 24/5, 365 days a year.
Contents insurance starting form 2.71**
*Offer valid to new customers only
**Terms and conditions apply