FAQ ❘ Personal Possessions Coverage

Take your favourite items wherever you go, completely worry free.


3 minute read


With household contents insurance, you can leave the house knowing that your favourite belongings are protected. But what about the valuable items you take out of the house with you? This is where Personal Possessions insurance comes into play. Here’s what the extension covers.

What is Personal Possessions insurance?

Personal Possessions insurance is usually available as an extension to standard household contents insurance. For a small additional fee, you can protect your insured items against loss and damage outside your home – anywhere in the world. The Personal Possessions extension from Getsafe covers your belongings up to a maximum of £10,000.

When setting your insured sum, you should think about the value of the items you usually leave the house with. If, for example, you usually go out with a phone worth £700 and a watch worth £300, you should set your insured sum at £1,000.

Each individual item is insured up to £2,000. Items that are worth more than £2,000 must be specified separately. Separately listed items are insured up to £4,000.

What items count as personal possessions?

Personal Possessions insurance covers portable items that you usually take with you when you leave the house. This includes phones, jewellery, laptops and tablets, cameras, clothes and bikes. Please be aware that bikes and other kinds of cycles are only covered up to £500 under Personal Possessions insurance.

What items are not covered?

Your Contents policy booklet contains the full list of what is covered and what is not covered. Here are some of the most important exceptions:

  • Items used or intended to be used solely in connection with your business, trade or profession. This means that work laptops and tools and hardware for professional use are not covered.
  • Theft of personal property, other than cycles, which is not under the personal supervision of you or anyone authorised by you. Items are only covered if they are stored in a securely locked room or building or completely hidden within the glove compartment or boot of a locked vehicle.
  • Sporting equipment is not covered if it is damaged while in use.

How can I get Personal Possessions insurance?

With Getsafe, you can add the Personal Possessions extension to your coverage in seconds.

  • If you don’t yet have Contents insurance, you can add the Personal Possessions extension right away when purchasing your Contents insurance.
  • If you already have Contents insurance from Getsafe, all you need to do is open the app and click on the Coverage tab to see your insurance.
  • From there, simply click on your Contents insurance and scroll down to find the Personal Possessions extension.
  • You will be asked to specify the insured sum for all items you want to take outside your home up to £10,000.
  • Once you’ve read the legal information, you can add Personal Possessions to your coverage. The insurance will take effect from the next day.
Author: Tom